• What insurance would I need if I am a leaseholder?

    Your lease agreement might dictate that you are responsible for insuring the buildings, in which case, we can provide you with a landlord building insurance quote.

    Alternatively, you will at least want to insure your landlord contents, fixtures and fittings. Although we can’t currently quote online for this, we have a number of insurers that offer policies to meet your needs, so click “get a call back” or call us on 01788 818670 for a quote.

    If you own a leasehold property, it is usually the person who owns the freehold who is responsible for insuring the building. This means that it isn’t typically your responsibility to take out landlord buildings’ cover for your leasehold property, although it may still be you effectively paying the premiums, via your service charge.

    However, there has been an increasing trend in recent years for some leaseholders of a property to club together to buy a share of the freehold. While this provides you with greater control over the property, it also means you have greater responsibilities, with one of those being the arrangement of buildings cover.

    This may be something that the different freeholders do individually, although a cheaper and simpler solution may be to take out a block policy that covers all of you.

    The situation is much clearer as far as insurance for your personal possessions is concerned. Regardless of whether you share a freehold or merely own a leasehold, you are responsible for buying contents cover if you wish your belongings in your rental property – including the items that you have left in the property for your tenant to use – to be protected against theft, loss, fire or accidental damage.

    If you are presently purchasing a leasehold property, your solicitor will be able to advise you as to whether your lease requires you to take out leaseholder insurance protecting the building itself against the usual perils outlined in a landlord buildings insurance policy, such as fire and flood.


    You may or may not need to pay for leaseholder insurance, depending on the nature of your lease agreement and whether the property is already insured by the freeholder. If it does turn out to be your responsibility to insure the building as well as its contents, here at CIA Landlord Insurance, we can put you in touch with insurers who can provide you with a suitably tailored policy.