Can I insure more than one buy-to-let property?

Yes, you can insure more than one buy-to-let property with our multi-property landlord insurance where you can receive a discounted rate. The cover is comprehensive and you can choose to insure buildings, contents or both.
Read more

Why can't I insure my buy-to-let on a standard home insurance policy?

A standard home insurance policy won’t cover you if you rent the property out to tenants. This is because tenants are higher risk. Buy-to-let insurance covers specific events that aren’t covered by home insurance. Having a specialist policy will ensure you are protected to the right level.
Read more

Why should I rent to professionals?

Professional tenants usually rent for longer periods of time, which is more cost-effective for landlords. Usually, landlords replace carpets and repaint the walls every time a new tenant moves in, which will no longer be a regular occurrence.
Read more

Can I rent my house to a family member on benefits?

You can rent to a family member on housing benefit or universal credit as long as you don't live with them and you have a formal agreement.
Read more

Does Universal Credit pay private landlords?

If a tenant is entitled to Universal Credit housing costs, this amount is usually paid directly to the landlord each month. However, some tenants may be able to have the housing costs paid to them instead, if they meet certain criteria.
Read more

What happens if the building becomes unoccupied?

You need to advise CIA if the property becomes unoccupied for more than 45 days. We will talk you through your policy terms as each insurer has its own unoccupancy clause.
Read more

Can a listed building become delisted?

Yes, a listed building can become delisted although this is rare. There must be strong evidence showing that the building no longer has national importance and a formal review with the heritage authorities is required.
Read more

What are a landlord’s responsibilities for a listed building?

A landlord’s responsibilities for a listed building are the same as a modern building. Landlords should ensure that the interior, exterior and surrounding areas of the building are well kept. Because a listed building needs to preserve its original appearance, the landlord should be clear in the tenancy agreement about making changes to the property.
Read more

Why is it difficult to find cheap listed buildings insurance?

Since listed buildings are older, there’s more risk of things going wrong and repair costs are higher. This higher risk increases the chances of making a claim, so insurance companies would have to pay out more. Older properties can be complex to fix. Unique features of listed buildings such as sash windows are also costly to repair, due to the rare materials and specialist tradespeople needed.
Read more

Will future works on a listed building affect my landlord insurance?

Yes, future works on a listed building can affect your landlord insurance. Inform your insurance provider of planned work before it starts to comply with your policy and remain covered. CIA is an independent broker with a personal approach. You can chat with us on the phone about any planned work - we don’t use chat bots.
Read more
Load more
Home selling secrets

Amina was very helpful in sorting out my landlord’s insurance and spotted an error in my cover which helped reduce my premium.

First time landlords

We are first time landlords and you gave good advice and the process was easy and good value.

A pleasure to deal with

A pleasure to deal with, the lady on the phone was a credit to her company.