• Is it my responsibility to insure the contents?

    Tenants should have their own contents insurance for items they keep in the property. However, if your property is furnished, it’s your responsibility to have landlord contents insurance for the items you own, as well as any fixtures and fittings.

    The general rule of thumb is that your tenant will be responsible for taking out contents cover for any possessions of their own that they bring into the property – such as their personal electronic appliances. Meanwhile, it is your responsibility to insure the contents that belong to you, but which you have left in the property for your tenant to use, such as TVs and furniture.

    If, for instance, you are letting an unfurnished property with no contents of your own left in the property for a tenant to use, you can concentrate on simply taking out landlord buildings cover. If, however, the property that you let is partly or fully furnished, it is well worth investigating contents insurance policies that will protect your investment in these essential items.

    Some landlord insurance policies specifically include white goods cover, which protects any freestanding washing machines, fridge-freezers, cookers, tumble dryers or washers that you have left in your property for the tenant to use.


    Whether it is your responsibility or your tenant’s responsibility to take out contents cover will depend on who owns the contents in question.

    This means that landlords letting partly or fully furnished properties are urged to investigate contents policies that will protect their possessions in the property against all of the usual perils outlined in a landlord buildings insurance policy, such as fire and flood.