Landlord building insurance is there to cover the structure of your property against damage and unforeseen events, such as storms, floods, or fires. Whereas contents insurance covers items that you have bought for tenants in your property to make use of, such as household appliances (like dishwashers, washing machines, fridges, televisions etc), home furniture, curtains, and anything freestanding.