• We won't be beaten on price
  • 20+ years of expertise
  • Covering the vast majority of the landlord market

Landlord rental insurance

In a perfect world, your property would require very little maintenance or attention. For the most part, this tends to be the case, although things can sometimes go wrong. So, it's always good to protect your property against standard perils with specially designed landlord insurance for a rental property.

What is rented property insurance?

Put simply, it is essentially home insurance but for rented properties. It is designed to cover the property whilst your tenant is the resident and can be combined with other insurance policies to protect property owners and landlords.

There are also additional policies available to you as a CIA customer:

  • Legal Helpline – Our legal helpline is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We’d be happy to offer legal advice regarding any legal issue over the telephone.
  • Legal Protection – If your tenants refuse to leave your property after the eviction date stated on the notice, you can cover up to £50,000 of the legal costs to evict your tenants through the court.

Why do I need landlord insurance for my rental property?

Even if you have upstanding tenants and your property is well-maintained, you may encounter unexpected situations that make things tricky. A standard home insurance policy won't cover unforeseen circumstances in your rented property. That's why it's always imperative to take out landlord insurance for rental properties.

While landlord insurance for a rental property is not a legal obligation, mortgage lenders will insist you have a specialist landlord insurance policy before your tenants move in.

What does landlord rental insurance cover?

Typically, a specialist policy will cover the following:

Buildings insurance

Contents insurance

Liability insurance

Alternative accommodation costs

Loss of rent

  • Extensive Cover
  • Buildings & Contents Covered
  • Loss of Rent Cover
  • Any Tenant Acceptable
  • Unoccupied Properties
  • 100% Flat Roof Coverage
  • Commercial Let Property
  • Non-standard Construction Properties
Get a quote
GEO Underwriting
Pen Underwriting

Why choose CIA's rented property insurance?

Who said you need to take out a fortune to find rental property insurance? Thanks to our extensive experience specialising in niche areas of the landlord insurance market, we can help you find the cheapest rental property insurance. That way, your pockets shouldn't feel a pinch.

Once you've taken out your policy, your documents and policy booklet will be emailed over to you within 48 hours. If you're struggling to make sense of your policy details, we'd be happy to answer any questions you may have and offer our expert advice. We will always contact you prior to your renewal date to provide a competitive quotation for the following year, giving you one less thing to worry about.

Rest easy knowing that you've found the cheapest rental property insurance. To get your cheap rental home insurance sorted call us on 01788 818670. You can also head over to our online form to get a quote on a cheap rental home insurance policy today.

Get a quote
Home selling secrets

Amina was very helpful in sorting out my landlord’s insurance and spotted an error in my cover which helped reduce my premium.

First time landlords

We are first time landlords and you gave good advice and the process was easy and good value.

A pleasure to deal with

A pleasure to deal with, the lady on the phone was a credit to her company.

Frequently asked questions

What does the legal policy cover?

Landlords legal protection is an insurance policy to protect you as the landlord of your property, in case your tenants are in breach of their contract and you need to take them to court. The insurance policy will cover the legal costs incurred.

Read more

What is covered by my landlord insurance?

Your landlord policy can be as basic or as extensive as you need it to be. Our landlord insurance can include buildings only, contents only or a combined policy if required.

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property if it becomes damaged by fire, flooding or vandalism, and contents insurance covers household items left for the tenants use such as furniture and appliances in situations such as theft, fire and flood. This cover does not protect your tenant’s belongings or items you may have left in storage at the property that is not for the tenants use.

Read more

Do I need a tenancy agreement?

Most of our insurers ask for a direct tenancy agreement to be in place for a minimum of 6 months.

As a general rule, you can expect to need to have a tenancy agreement in place before being permitted to take out any kind of landlord insurance. Nonetheless, it is advisable to consult the small print of your contract and ask questions of the insurer before purchasing.

Read more

Does the policy cover me if my tenants are injured due to the property?

Our landlord insurance policies, where buildings are insured, include Property Owners Liability and where contents are insured include Contents Liability, so if the tenant is injured or contracts a disease due to the insured property and/or contents you would be covered.

Employers Liability covers you for any damage caused to the property or to an individual by someone who is employed by you to work at the rental property under a PAYE agreement. The type of employee may be a cleaner or a gardener etc.

Read more

What does liability insurance mean?

The liability cover on your policy will insure you for any amounts you become legally liable to pay as damages and claimants costs for bodily injury, including death and disease and damage to property caused by an accident at the premises.

Read more

What if my tenant works but also receives benefits?

We will just need to ask you a couple more questions in order for us to know how to class your tenant. Our insurers each have their own guidelines so this quote would be completed on the phone. To discuss the details call us on 01788818670.

Read more

Does the type of tenant I have in my property affect my policy?

All policies are quoted and proposed on a variety of different factors, one of those being the tenant type. If the current tenants situation changes and they become a different tenant type you will need to make us aware.

Read more

What does the term "tenant type" mean?

Tenant type refers to the tenants current situation, for example, if they are in full time work they would be classed as Professionals, if they pay the majority of the rent with benefits they would be classed as DSS. Other tenant types include Students, Asylum Seekers, Housing Association and Retired.

Read more

What happens if my property becomes vacant mid-term?

Whether your insurance policy is affected or not depends on a number of factors. Contact our Customer Service department when you know your tenants are moving out and let us know what your intentions are for the property, we will then advise you how this affects your insurance.

Read more

Can I add properties on mid-term?

We do offer insurance policies that we add properties on midterm on a pro rata basis if you let us know this is a requirement when you purchase your 1st policy.

Read more

Do you offer a multi property discount?

If you already have insurance with us we will give you a multi-property discount. To take advantage of the discount we will need to complete the quote over the phone with you so you call us on 01788 818 670.

Read more

How do I find out if my property is listed?

You can try contacting your local planning authority or try https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk.

Read more

What insurance would I need if I am a leaseholder?

Your lease agreement might dictate that you are responsible for insuring the buildings, in which case we can provide you with a landlord insurance quote. Alternatively, you will at least want to insure your landlord contents, fixtures and fittings. Although we can't currently quote online for this we have a number of insurers that offer policies to meet your needs so click "get a call back" or call us on 01788 818670 for a quote.

Read more

What does landlord insurance cover me for?

The standard perils landlord insurance covers you for are the same as standard home insurance. This includes things like fire, storm or floods, escape of water, subsidence etc. The difference is the policy will also include things like, loss of rent in the event that the property becomes uninhabitable due to an insured peril and liability cover in case of the tenants having an accident.

Read more

Can I cancel my policy?

You may cancel your policy at any point by sending us either emailed confirmation, confirmation by post or calling customer support on 01788 818 600.

Read more

Will my policy automatically renew?

None of our policies are automatically renewed, we will contact you 25 days prior to the renewal date with our renewal quotation with follow up notifications and ask you to contact us if your wish to proceed.

Read more

Can cover be increased after the un-occupancy clause?

Unfortunately we are unable to increase cover if at the end of an un-occupancy clause if the property remains vacant, cover is reduced and then increased when the property is again re tenanted. However we do offer policies that will extend cover if the property remains unoccupied as a new policy.

Read more

What is White Goods cover?

If your policy includes free white goods cover then any freestanding washing machines, fridge-freezers, cookers, tumble dryers & dishwashers that you have left for your tenant to use, will also be insured for all the perils that are listed under the buildings section of your policy.

Read more

What is Property owners Liability?

Property Owner Liability is standard on all of our policies, this will cover the Landlord as the legal owner of the property for any damages, claimant costs and expenses in the event of accidental death, bodily injury, illness, disease or accidental loss or damage to property.

Read more

Do you cover un-occupied properties?

We can provide cover for unoccupied properties from inception with different ranges of cover available.

Read more

Do you give Multi-property discounts?

We do have some Insurers that will provide Multi-Property Discounts and Portfolio Policies.

Read more

What tenant types do you cover?

Our panel of Insurers will cover all tenants types upon request. Please ensure that your policy shows the correct tenant type as this invalid your policy.

Read more

What is Loss of Rent Cover?

This will cover you in the event of Loss of Rent and/or alternative accommodation should your property become uninhabitable due to an insured peril covered by the policy, eg Fire, Flood.

Read more

When will I get my documents?

Documentation is usually emailed to you within 48 hours but we are happy to post out hard copies upon request. All of our policy booklets are available online and a link will be provided in your welcome pack.

Read more

Do my documents show the amount I have actually paid for the policy?

When documentation is issued at inception and renewal we will provide a Statement of Price this will show the amount paid and a full breakdown of any other fees charged.

Read more

How do I calculate my rebuild cost?

Your rebuild cost, sometimes referred to as building sum insured or reinstatement value, can be most accurately found on a mortgage valuation. If you do not have one to refer to then you can try the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) commissioned by the association of British Insurers. This free service can be found on http://calculator.bcis.co.uk.

Read more

What type of landlord insurance do I need?

There are a few different landlord insurance options. Which one you choose will depend on the specific risks you feel that it’s most important to cover against. The most common product and the one that we sell here at CIA Insurance is buildings and/or contents insurance. It’s also the most complex and extensive.

Read more

What if I want to rent out more than one property?

If you have an existing landlord insurance policy, you will be able to take out multiple-property landlord insurance with us. Sometimes also referred to as portfolio insurance, this covers landlords with three or more properties. It covers all types of properties, including blocks of flats let out on either a residential or commercial basis.

Multi-property landlord insurance is designed to save landlords time and money. Having one policy that covers all properties means there’s that only one payment and one renewal per year to think about, and the multi-property discount means that sometimes it’s cheaper than taking out individual insurance policies for each property.

Read more

Is a landlord insurance legally required?

There is no legal obligation for a landlord to take out landlord insurance, however, you might not get very far without it. You’ll usually need written permission from your lender before you take on tenants (unless you have a buy-to-let mortgage), and your lender is likely to require that you have landlord insurance before you do so.

Even though you’ve probably got a conventional home insurance policy, this won’t be enough to cover you if your property becomes a rental. In fact, a lot of home insurance policies will become void if the property is being used as a rental, meaning that you won’t be able to make a claim.

Read more

How to get cheaper landlord insurance

When you’re looking for your perfect landlord insurance, you’re going to want to get the best price. No landlord wants to be paying over the odds for their insurance – especially when you hope you’ll never have to actually claim on it.

If you have multiple properties, then make sure you insure them all with one provider. You’ll probably be eligible for a discount. Plus, it makes everything much more streamlined and simple with a lot less paperwork.

Read more

How much does landlord insurance cost per month?

In 2018, the average cost of landlord insurance was £217 a year, down from £230 last year. That being said, it’s difficult to predict the cost of landlord insurance because there are many different variables that will contribute towards the price of a premium.

Read more

Do I have to have landlord insurance?

No, you don’t need to take out landlord insurance, however, a lot of mortgage lenders may insist you have it before you begin renting to tenants. Just because it’s not mandatory, it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take it out.

Landlord insurance is really important for any landlord. It will help to safeguard your financial future and protect your investment from damage, problematic tenants and other unexpected costs. It gives you the peace of mind that situations out of your control will be covered under your policy.

Read more

Do I insure my property from exchange or completion?

Insurance is usually offered from exchange, but you should be guided by your solicitor on the exact date to start your policy.

When you are purchasing a house – whether to live in yourself or as a buy-to-let investment – there is a potential grey area between the exchange of contracts and the completion of the sale. It is during this period that you will have signed a contract committing you to purchase the property, but the house will not technically be yours yet as you wait for other aspects of the sale process to be undertaken, such as the conveyancing.

Read more

What is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance is a specialist product that covers landlords from damage costs and various different financial losses that come with the territory of being a landlord. Amongst all the positives, unfortunately, there’s a lot that can go wrong when you’re a landlord that can in turn, cost you a lot of money.

With that in mind, your landlord insurance policy is really important for any landlord. Buildings insurance and contents insurance are usually the main types of cover that a landlord will need, however a lot of other landlord-specific covers can be added onto a policy, such as legal expenses insurance and alternative accommodation expenses.

Read more

What is an interested party?

An interested party is any other person or organisation with a financial interest in the property, such as a mortgage provider.

An interested party – also known as an ‘additional interest’ – is a person or company other than the named insured on an insurance policy, which has an insurable interest in the person or property that the policy covers.

Read more

What is Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance is protection for the structure of your property, including fixtures and fittings, against unexpected and unavoidable events that may cause damage.

Read more
Further reading

Features And Benefits

Cover TypeStandard CoverOptional
Buildings up to the requested sum insured
Accidental Damage Cover to Buildings
Contents up to the requested sum insured
Property Owners Liability (Up to £5 million)
Landlords Contents Cover for White Goods (with some policies)
Cost of temporary accommodation (in the event of an insured peril)
Loss Of Rent Cover (in the event of an insured peril)
Malicious Damage & Theft By Tenants
Trace & Access Cover (most policies)
Landlord Legal Expenses
Legal Expenses & Rent Guarantee