Landlord Buildings Insurance

A damaged rental property doesn't have to cause stress for landlords. Protect yourself against rebuilding costs and loss of rental income with building insurance cover. Prevent large bills from hitting your pocket with cheap landlord buildings insurance from CIA.
Get a quote

Compare landlord building insurance

Getting the right level of cover will give you peace of mind that your property is protected. It doesn't have to cost the earth either.

CIA is an independent broker that compares the whole market for an accurate quote. The big names such as MoneySuperMarket and Comparethemarket only compare quotes from a select few insurers whereas we compare 9 leading insurers.

Chat with our experts to receive a tailored quote that meets your needs - there's no need to worry about being over or under-insured.

Providing tenants with a great property to live in is a big responsibility. To enjoy the peace of mind that your rental property is protected, choose CIA Landlords for a great deal for the cover you need.

Get a Quote
Jump to

What is landlord buildings insurance?

Landlord building insurance protects and covers the costs of repairing and rebuilding your property if it should get damaged as a result of any insured peril such as a fire, storm, or flood. The good news is, in most cases, this includes cover and replacement for the roof, floors and walls, as well as many permanent fixtures, such as kitchen cabinets and bathroom suites.

Building insurance can cover more than the structure of the property and any damaged interior fittings. Landlord building insurance can also cover outside structures connected to your property. For example, if you have a burst pipe or an issue with your garage, your landlord building insurance policy may cover the cost of the damage this causes.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Aside from damage due to fires, storms, floods, and any other standard perils to your buildings from the elements, your policy may also be able to cover the costs for:

  • Full accidental damage
  • Loss of rent (in the event of an insured peril)
  • Alternative accommodation (in the event of an insured peril)
  • Property owner's liability
  • White goods
Optional Extras
  • Malicious Damage & Theft By Tenants
  • Trace & Access Cover (most policies)
  • Landlord Legal Protection

Our expert says...

Richard Wayman - Finance General Manager

What isn't covered?

For peace of mind and protect all elements of your property with a separate landlords contents insurance policy to cover belongings inside the property such as freestanding items, furnishings, and furniture that you provide for tenants.

Alternatively, you can take out comprehensive landlord insurance from CIA that covers both buildings and contents. Speak with one of our expert advisors for more information.

How much does landlord buildings insurance cost?

Various factors can affect the cost of your landlord buildings insurance premium.

  • Property location - Higher crime rates in the area will push up your premium.
  • The size and age of the property - The cost of potential repairs and the likelihood of needing repairs will vary.
  • The type of tenancy agreement
  • Landlord's claims history - Insurance will be higher if you have made a previous claim.
  • Payment plan - Landlord buildings insurance is cheaper if you pay for it annually rather than monthly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Advice Centre for Landlords

Image of home in a storm. How to protect your rental property from storm damage 04-07-2023

Severe storms have become more common in recent years in the UK. In fact, February 2022 saw three separate storms hit the UK in the space of one week, storms Dudley, Eunice, and Franklin. Storm Eunice was the most damaging storm in England and Wales since February 12th 2014.  With this increase in severe storms […]

Read more
How to protect a property from fire 12-10-2022

‘I want to protect my rental property from a fire.’ – we hear you. Your asset will need to follow some legal fire safety requirements. In hand with this, you should be taking the steps listed below to safeguard your tenants from fire emergencies. As a landlord, you should have clarity over what requirements you […]

Read more
Insurance for flood risk properties 18-07-2022

Given that flooding only tends to vault to the top of the national conversation at times of obvious crisis, it can sometimes be easy for property owners to assume floods are only a genuine risk to a tiny minority of houses. However, with past assessments having found that about one in six properties in England – approximately […]

Read more