What happens if the building becomes unoccupied?

You need to advise CIA if the property becomes unoccupied for more than 45 days. We will talk you through your policy terms as each insurer has its own unoccupancy clause.
Read more

How is commercial landlord insurance different from domestic landlord insurance?

The cost of landlord insurance premiums can vary between commercial and domestic building policies due to the different building and tenant types involved. The majority of residential properties are constructed from brick whereas commercial buildings use a variety of materials. Each material will pose its own level of risk, which will affect premiums. For example, bricks are hardwearing and cheap to insure. Whereas concrete walls are prone to cracks and timber is a greater fire hazard, and the insurance cost will reflect this. In addition, commercial buildings have more complex heating and electrical systems, which will cost more to repair, pushing premiums up. Various tenant types can be covered with standard landlord insurance including students, DSS tenants and professionals. These tenants will not carry out business from home, and are fairly low risk. In contrast, commercial premises could be the home to hazardous activities and there is a greater risk of damage and accidents. CIA can advise you on the level of cover you need for the type of building and the tenants that will be working from the premises.
Read more

Is commercial property insurance required by law?

Commercial property insurance isn’t a legal requirement, although your mortgage provider may require it as a condition of the loan.
Read more

What happens if the tenants can no longer work in the building due to damage?

If tenants can no longer work in the building, they can’t be expected to pay their rent. A commercial landlord insurance policy will cover loss of rent so that you aren’t out of pocket providing the damage was caused by an insured peril.
Read more

Is commercial landlord insurance tax deductible?

Yes, commercial landlord insurance is tax deductible as it is categorised as an ‘allowable expense’ by HMRC.
Read more

Is the landlord or tenant responsible for commercial buildings insurance?

The owner of the commercial property or landlord is responsible for the buildings insurance. Landlords typically pass this cost on to the tenant. It’s a good idea to clarify this in the tenancy agreement before the letting.
Read more

How long is a quote valid for?

30 days.
Read more

What excess should I expect?

The level of excess will depend on the building being insured and the amount of cover you require. Excess is £250 for most perils.
Read more

Can I get a policy that covers my residential and commercial rental properties?

Yes, we can offer this cover providing they are on the same title deeds.
Read more

Who is commercial landlord insurance for?

Commercial landlord insurance is for landlords who let out their properties for business use, or have a portfolio of commercial and residential buildings.
Read more
Load more
Home selling secrets

Amina was very helpful in sorting out my landlord’s insurance and spotted an error in my cover which helped reduce my premium.

First time landlords

We are first time landlords and you gave good advice and the process was easy and good value.

A pleasure to deal with

A pleasure to deal with, the lady on the phone was a credit to her company.