Why should I rent to professionals?

Professional tenants usually rent for longer periods of time, which is more cost-effective for landlords. Usually, landlords replace carpets and repaint the walls every time a new tenant moves in, which will no longer be a regular occurrence.
Read more

How long is a quote valid for?

30 days.
Read more

Why do landlords rent to students?

Landlords are realising the potential of the student market more and more. With high-yielding rental properties and a constant flow of tenants, the student market is very attractive. In addition, students typically have loans which help cover their rent. You’ll want to make sure your tenants have reliable guarantors before they sign the AST.
Read more

Do I need contents insurance for the student's possessions?

No, it is the student's responsibility to take out insurance for their own belongings. However, you can take out contents insurance for fixtures and fittings in the accommodation such as the sofa, bed, fridge and freezer.
Read more

Should a student tenant pay landlord insurance?

No, student tenants shouldn’t pay landlord insurance - it is the landlord's responsibility. Students can choose to take out insurance for their gadgets and other belongings if they wish, but this won’t affect the landlord.
Read more

How do I make sure I’m not underinsured?

Make sure you accurately calculate the rebuild cost and the value of the contents in the property. CIA can assist you with this.
Read more

What if my tenant works but also receives benefits?

We will just need to ask you a couple more questions in order for us to know how to class your tenant. Our insurers each have their own guidelines so this quote would be completed on the phone. To discuss the details, call us on 01788 818 670.
Read more

Does the type of tenant I have in my property affect my policy?

Yes, all policies are quoted and proposed on a variety of different factors, one of those being the tenant type. If the current tenant's situation changes and they become a different tenant type, you will need to make us aware.
Read more

What does the term 'tenant type' mean?

Tenant type refers to the tenant's current situation. For example, if they are in full-time work they would be classed as professionals. If they pay the majority of the rent with benefits they would be classed as DSS tenants. Other tenant types include students, asylum seekers, housing association tenants and retired tenants.
Read more

Do I need a tenancy agreement?

Most of our insurers ask for a direct tenancy agreement to be in place for a minimum of 6 months. As a general rule, you can expect to need to have a tenancy agreement in place before being permitted to take out any kind of landlord insurance. Nonetheless, it is advisable to consult the small print of your contract and ask questions of the insurer before purchasing.
Read more
Home selling secrets

Amina was very helpful in sorting out my landlord’s insurance and spotted an error in my cover which helped reduce my premium.

First time landlords

We are first time landlords and you gave good advice and the process was easy and good value.

A pleasure to deal with

A pleasure to deal with, the lady on the phone was a credit to her company.